On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 10:30:18 -0800 Gary Peterson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     As an amateur magician and educator, I am interested in the reactions of
> teachers and others to the increasingly popular books featuring the Harry
> Potter character.  I haven't read the books yet, but my understanding is the
> character uses spells and magickal powers to make the world right (for him).
> I predict reactions from concerned parents, as well as folks like us who may
> be asked our view of such books in relation to a child's (or adult's)
> ability to differentiate reality and fantasy, the kind of role model being
> fostered for people who are troubled, feel rejected by others, etc (do any
> Halloween movies come to mind here? ;-).
>     There might be interesting discussion of coping and adjustment, and
> appropriate and inappropriate outlets for handling personal problems, etc.
> Harry is a student of witchcraft and wizardry (still a eurocentric charter
> school??) and faces dismal and paranoid-like dangers in his world.  He
> rescues himself by his sorcery and magickal powers.  Old stuff really, but I
> am also curious as to the popularity of such books at a time when science
> literacy in the U.S. is considered very poor (was it ever really good?), and
> a number of us in education are trying to find ways to encourage critical
> thinking.  I have put Harry Potter on my reading list and will check them
> out for myself.  Has anyone else heard of them, or had discussions about the
> books?  Ask your Wiccan students?  You can find some reviews at amazon.com
> of course.   Gary Peterson

Gary:

I have read parts of the books (at bedtime to my son) but not
each book entirely.

I am surprised by the success of the books (although I would
have loved them if I read them as a 9 year old).  The atmosphere
in the books is similar to that evoked by Roald Dahl. There are
truly mean people and dangerous situations encountered by Harry
and his friends.  The emphasis is not on using magic to solve
personal problems.  Instead Harry is busy sorting out typical
school/growing up problems with the realization that his
history/background has given him a particular destiny.  That
destiny is a mystery, although some of the adults seem to know
something about his future.  So Harry must puzzle out whether a
particular teacher is mean to him because of that destiny or
because he just doesn't like Harry; and, if the mean treatment
is because of Harry's destiny, then is it due to simple jealousy
or is there a darker explanation?  This emphasis on sorting out
one's position in the world is done in an engrossing manner.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA