Kenneth M. Steele wrote:

Paul brings up a point that I have wondered about, surely there
is little real-world experience supporting the belief in magical
powers and outcomes.  So is TV to blame?  I have a second
culprit--intellectual laziness.

**Hi Ken,

**Although I agree with you to some extent - - surely few of
  us have been able to fly or stop time at will - - I think that
  real world experience does give us plenty of opportunities
  for magical attributions if we are so inclined.  When
  coincidences or random data are interpreted as ordered,
  purposeful, or pre-ordained, the door is wide open for
  magical/supernatural/paranormal interpretation.

**If one has been repeatedly exposed to a "normalized"
   perspective on the paranormal, one may be more inclined
   to make magical attributions to random events (and to be
   suckered by hucksters who veil their intentions and actions
   with magical/supernatural/paranormal screens).

**Consider what effect that exposure to a religion can have
   on the interpretation of normal life events.

**I'm not saying that the media is entirely to blame, but I don't
   think it's unreasonable to suggest they have some effect.

**Mike

Michael J. Kane
Psychology Department
Georgia State University
University Plaza
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083
phone: 404-651-0704
fax: 404-651-0753
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing
  is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good,
  as it is not to care how you got your money as
  long as you have it."
                                                     -- E.W. Teale