On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Stephen Black went:

> But _my_ local media reports that they're using classical music (in
> NYC?) to drive people away. Apparently it has this effect on loiterers
> and druggies (and students?). Isn't culture wonderful?

I can attest that on recent visit to Penn Station (in Manhattan), the
background music was a lovely chamber piece, vaguely Schubert-like.
It was the kind of thing I'd listen to at home.  However, in the _New
York Times_ (I think), a Penn Station employee pointed out that the
music is on a loop, so that if even if you like it, it should
discourage you from hanging out for too long.

--David Epstein