Mark Press wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mark Press
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 10:11
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: New list

I'm excited by the appearance of the new PsychTeach list.  In the time that I've been on this list it has become increasingly irrelevant to its stated purpose and much of the discussion has turned personal and silly.  I subscribe to a number of other lists which meet my needs for discussion in those areas;  I miss the greater percentage of time spent on the discussion of educational matters that once characterized this list and I assume that the new list will better meet my needs in that area.  Those who don't want a moderated list need simplyt not subscribe.

Mark Press

M. Press, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Touro College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    I think that the existence of the new list will serve two excellent purposes:

        1. It will provide a forum for those who want a very structured and focused list in which to discuss _only_ the subject of teaching with no "side jaunts," casual conversation or lengthy debates. By being moderated, posts such as nearly all of Michael Sylvester's messages, Louis' "Random Thoughts," my own ventures into free speech, etc.

    2. It will eliminate any justification for insisting that such conversations _not_ appear in this list. TIPS members who have been insisting that such conversation are not appropriate to this forum and deprive them of the teaching-specific content they seek, will be able to simply subscribe to the new list, and thus there will be no legitimacy in demanding that the conversations cease here.

    Personally, I suspect that the new list, as a moderated environment, will quickly become rather "talked out" and very low traffic (no list which does not permit a wide range of views and topics can maintain a stable membership for long--there is simply too much tendency for the same topics to repeat over and over as new members join and introduce them), but if it does endure it will provide the resource mentioned above, while if it does not it will make the point that Tips should never try to impose such limitations. In either case, it is a benefit to everyone.

    Rick

--

Rick Adams
Department of Social Sciences

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"