I really like this thread, including the insight it offers us into the
private lives of other people. For example, people who brush their
teeth while watching TV. Or Don McBurney, who first reveals the
shocking truth during a discussion of after-images that he never uses
PowerPoint and now tells us that he doesn't have an electric
toothbrush either. Consequently, he misses the opportunity to observe
phenomena of great psychological importance.

Before we have further speculation on this topic, we have two
competing hypotheses to consider:

a) the perceptual hypothesis, which explains the jiggle effect
as an optical illusion generated within our own nervous system, or at
least within the nervous system of Faith's student.

b) the electromagnetic energy hypothesis, in which the phenomenon is
ascribed to physical factors external to the individual.

Two simple tests can distinguish between them. Faith, could you ask
your student to do the following, and report back to us?

1) Induce the jiggle effect by brushing her teeth. Ask other people to
report whether they also see the jiggle effect.

2) Run the electric toothbrush outside the mouth, and with no contact
between the toothbrush and its student. Does the student still
observe the jiggle?

If the answers to both 1) and 2) are yes, we have strong support for
hypothesis (b). If the answers are both no, we have support for
hypothesis a). If we get one yes and one no, we have a problem.

I'm betting on hypothesis (b).

-Stephen

Note added in proof: ok, I just ran my electric toothbrush at my
computer monitor. No jiggle, not even when it's in my mouth. This does
not seem to be a robust phenomenon. Of course, neither was cold
fusion.

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/