Title: Re: put oven in pizza
>>From: Michael Sylvester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

...Instead of saying to her boyfriend,"put the pizza in the oven",it would
come out as "put the oven in the pizza". Another example she gave was
"dog hot" instead of "hot dog".

I asked my daughter, who is a speech pathologist.  She said this would be
labeled "verbal paraphasia" or "literal paraphasia."  (Yikes - I'm not
sure whether I spelled "paraphasia" correctly, can't reach my daughter
right now and don't seem to see it in my dictionary.)  Anyhow, she said
it would most likely be seen hand-in-hand with a learning disability,
but she has never seen it in her practice.

Interesting - sounds a bit like word salad, but of course that's
schizophrenia-related or even stroke-related, and it doesn't sound as
though Michael's student is in either of those categories.

Beth Benoit
University of Massachusetts Lowell