Then Ben wrote:
> The only kind of LED (light-emitting diode) I know about is a DC device and
> doesn't have a refresh rate -- it stays on. It sounds like you're talking about
> a CRT (?)

This is right, I think, if you are talking about a single LED, but the
seven-segment displays that make digits such as those on a clock use multiple
LED's (just arranged in a particular way to make letters and numbers). And I
think the individual LED's that make up the display are indeed driven in a
cyclic fashion. So they can flicker...

Patrick Cabe, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
One University Drive
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510

(910) 521-6630