I think John's advice (per usual) should be well-taken.
To me it seems as though confidentiality is violated only if you have
assured it or implied it. If the colleague is sitting in the presence of
both parties, it is the decision of the student to discuss issues or not
(i.e., it's not like the colleeague would be hidden behind a curtain or
something).
Since that measure has been prompted by the student's previous behavior,
it seems a bit self-imposed.\
And BTW, when do faculty rights become important?

Cheers,

Louis_Schmier wrote:

> John, however sound advice that may be, it violates confidentiality
> and
> requires permission of all parties.
>
> Make it a good day.
>
>                                                        --Louis--