What I found worked with my son was offering a critique of his tantrum
while he was throwing it. He'd start and I'd just sit bakc and say things
like, "You know, this yelling at me isn't working. Maybe you should try
throwing yourself on the floor. No, that's not doing it either. Maybe if
you pound the floor with your fist and kick your feet. Nope, that's not
doing it either..."

He quickly got the message that tantrums were ineffective and that talking
to me was more likely to persuade me. Of course, now that he's a teen...

Larry

--On Friday, November 12, 1999 9:15 AM -0500 Vincent Prohaska
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The problem will occur when her son begins to out-tantrum her. As long as
> I can beat you up I win, but what happens when you can beat me up? She is
> teaching her son that the only reason he cannot get his way is that he is
> not big enough, loud enough, strong enough. Very bad parenting and think
> about the problems this child is going to cause the rest of us in school
> and other social situations. Shouldn't parents attempt to be at least a
> little more mature than their children?
>
> Vinny
>
> Vincent Prohaska, Ph.D.
> Chair