I have an I/O related question about baserates.  Baserates refer to the
percentage of applicants who would be successful if all of them were
hired.  Obviously this number can vary anywhere from 0% to 100%
depending on the job.  I also understand that a baserate of 50% gives
the most room for improvement if implementing a specific selection
device.  What I don't understand is the significance of this number.  It
sounds as if you don't have much control over the number.  So other than
just noting the statistical fact that there is most room for improvement
around 50% what practical implications does it have?  Would you want to
have a selection device (say for college admissions) so that the
baserate was 50%?  It doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Help please!
Marie

--
Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.