Having recently shown the NOVA video, "Secret of the Wild Child", I wanted
to give my students some additional information if possible.  Dr. Susan
Curtiss was generous enough to answer my questions.  Here is the latest on
Genie:

1.  Genie is in an Adult Care Facility that Dr. Curtiss describes as
"atypical" in that it offers exceptional exposure to events and activities.
 Each year Genie travels, with her group, to Las Vegas to play slot
machines and explore.  They go on regular outings and have "balls" or
socials at the care home.

2.  Dr. Curtiss said that, unfortunately, Genie's language skills have
deterioriated as has her ability to sign (she really has no one with whom
she can sign).  Despite these setbacks, Dr. Curtiss says Genie is still a
"powerhouse of zest for life".

3.  Since she knew so much about Genie, I assumed she saw her on a fairly
regular basis.  In fact, Dr. Curtiss told me that not one member of the
team is permitted to see Genie.  Her mother is still the legal guardian and
does not allow them to see Genie.  Dr. Curtiss receives her information
from Genie's social worker.  (Dr. Curtiss is friends with this woman.)

4.  I also asked Dr. Curtiss for her thoughts on why Ivar Lovaas was not
included as a member of the team since he was at the time working on
effective language development approaches with autistic children.  Her
thoughts were that the team felt that Dr. Lovaas' approaches were not well
suited to Genie who required nurturance, affection, love, and an
opportunity to experience the world.

I'd like to express here, again, that I am very grateful to Dr. Curtiss for
her willingness to share her knowledge and time.

Shannon Gadbois

Shannon Gadbois, M.Ed., Ph.D.
Brandon University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]