On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Max McGee wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I do not wish to defend or attack yourself, or the individual you were
> sparring with...
>
> My intention was merely to point out that you and those making attacks are
> every bit as guilty as jumping to conclusions as he is...
>
> He decided on the basis of a few students that all Russians are
> cheaters...you decided on the basis of the fact that he didn't want to tell
> you where he taught that he was a fraud.
>
> You're both guilty of miscarriages of logic...that was my entire point.  If
> you feel accused of anything beyond that, the accusation did not come from
> me.

Speaking of people jumping to conclusions, I think Max will have to
add himself to the list. I can recall no one concluding that Dr. Davis
was a fraud. What I believe Paul and I both alluded to was that
whenever someone refuses to provide information which can be used to
verify claims, those claims become suspect. In the case of Dr. Davis,
he told me in a private post he had no intention of telling us what
university he was at. Why in heavens's name not? It's certainly
possible that his refusal was to prevent us from checking on the
truthfulness of his claims.

Would you hire someone to teach at your school based on his assertion
that he had a doctorate but refused to tell you where it was from? As
it happens, someone (probably Paul, but I can't recall for sure)
managed to locate his dissertation, so we know that part is true. But
it still strikes me as suspicious that he would not tell us his
current institutional affiliation.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/