For a class project I had students look for release from proactive
interference in STM. They used the Brown-Peterson-Peterson
distraction technique of counting backwards by 3's starting with
3-digit numbers like 482 to prevent rehearsal. One student reported
the following:

>Some subjects reported that when the numbers that started off as
>easy calculations ie multiples of 3 or the number 0 they had less
>trouble remembering the words than when the starting number was not
>an easy calculation ie the numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, etc.

Another student said that at debriefing one of her subjects said he
was trying extra hard to remember the words while counting backwards.

Is this common? Does B-P not distract rehearsal sufficiently in some
instances (e.g., where the initial subtractions are more easily
calculated)?

        --> Mike O.

  Michael S. Ofsowitz
   University of Maryland - European Division
      http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~mofsowit