>Paul Brandon wrote:
>Maybe we've discovered a new category: CyberTourette's ;-)

I strongly believe in having a sense of humor about such things,
so please don't take my comment as my having been offended.
But, after living with Tourette Syndrome since I was a kid, I try
to correct misinfo when I see it (which is OFTEN, even among
psychologists).

"Coprolalia," or the impulsive/compulsive vocal tics
characterized by inappropriate speech, is a rather uncommon
symptom of Tourette's Syndrome.  Most estimates I've seen
lately put the lifetime prevalance of this symptom at only
about 10-20% of TS folks (most people with TS don't keep
any one tic forever; symptoms tend to cycle both in character
and intensity across years, months, and even days).  Apropros
my last post about media bias and road rage, Hollywood has understandably latched onto
coprolalia in dramatic portrayals
of TS sufferers, and so most of us think of TS as "the cussing disease."  Not really
so.

-Mike

Michael J. Kane
Psychology Department
Georgia State University
University Plaza
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083
phone: 404-651-0704
fax: 404-651-0753
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing
  is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good,
  as it is not to care how you got your money as
  long as you have it."
                                                     -- E.W. Teale