At our school, students do not need to have taken statistics in order to
get into our research methods course, although they must take it as a
co-requisite if they have not already had it. This makes research
methods a more difficult course to teach since many students must be
taught some basic statistics while they are being taught research
methods. Some faculty would like to see this changed: they would like
statistics to be a prerequisite for the course. I believe that this
issue is going to cause some vigorous discussion in the coming months.

My questions: Is statistics a prerequisite for research methods at your
school? What are the arguments in favor of this? What are the arguments
opposed to this?

Even if you have never answered a TIPS question before, please do so
now. I really need to know what is the convention with regard to these
two courses; and I also want to have good arguments pro and con ready
for the discussion of this issue.

Thank you,

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"Science must begin with myths and with the criticism of myths"
                                   Karl Popper