Mark Sciutto writes:

>I agree with several of the previous posts regarding the integration of
stats and methods.In many ways, I think it is a more important question
than the order of the two courses. I've had the opportunity to teach stats
and methods independently as well as integrated.  My conclusion is that the
latter is far superior.  I am often puzzled why more departments don't
adopt this model.  In fact, there are very few integrated books.

At UWF, students take their stat course in the Math/Stat department.  My
experience here and at other schools (even at schools where stats are
taught in both Psychology and Math/Stat) is that ownership of the stats
course is a major turf battle.  I taught statistics at other schools and
would love to have a stats course in our department but I don't know how we
could overcome the political battle with Math for the FTEs.  It seems to me
that an integrated course would raise similar problems.

Any advice from people who have successfully reclaimed statistics as a
course offered as a psychology course?

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Web:    http://www.uwf.edu/psych/stanny.html