A student who is failing my intro-psych course came up to me yesterday
to ask why she had been dropped from my roster. I told her that it was
because she had missed two tests. I let them make up only one, so if
they miss two, they get a zero on one. She told me that she wanted to
remain in the course even though she would get a zero on one test. I
asked her why she was having trouble in the course. She answered, "it
wasn't what I expected." When I asked her to elaborate, she responded,
"there's too much reality, not enough mental stuff." I stated that the
course was all about "mental stuff," and asked her to explain what it
was she had wanted. She hastened away at this point, mumbling "never
mind."

At the time, I let the matter drop. But later, I began to wonder what it
was that bothered her about the course. Many students coming into
intro-psych want it to be about abnormal psychology and pop therapies.
But her comment about "too much reality" in the course caused me to
wonder what it was she didn't like. Did she want me to get into mystical
issues?

I've just been thinking about this interaction. I doubt that you can
shed much light on it (I'll probably have to ask her about it if she'll
allow me), but has anyone had similar interactions that can shed some
light on what students like this one might be talking about?

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"Science must begin with myths and with the criticism of myths"
                                   Karl Popper