On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Dani' Raap wrote:

> Nancy, Gary and all,
>
> An added issue to the equation is test banks.  Given that we are torn in
> so many directions, it is easy to understand why many instructors rely
> heavily on test banks.  Most test banks are composed of M/C questions
> and focus on definitions and concepts.  Every now and then, you come
> across one with an applied question, but the choices are often poor and
> counterproductive.  It takes time and mental effort to formulate (or
> edit) a good M/C question, and many just don't have the time to create.
> Often, the list of questions is passed on to a TA and the test is
> developed and handed out with no further inspection by the instructor.

My problem with the MC items is that it does take me an inordinate
amount of time to come up with really, really good ones, and then I can't
use them for too long because by hook or by crook various items get out
into the "files" kept by fraternities/sororities, etc.

I honestly think that different club members get assigned the task of
memorizing one item and putting it on file!

so I keep having to go back to the drawing board and that is tedious
at best.

annette

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan