In virtually every book I have ever read that has discussed hypnosis, it
has been stated that James Braid coined the term. In a book that I have
just about finished (Macmillan, 1997), it seems that another claim is
being made. Let me quote from Note #1 on page 666 of Macmillan (1997):

"Like many others, I attributed the first use of the word hypnosis to
James Braid. I am glad to acknowledge Dr. Melvin Gravitz's correction of
the historical record in his identification of the antifluidist, but
splendidly named follower of Mesmer, Etienne Félix d'Hénin de Cuvillers,
as the person through whose use the term became popular (Gravitz,
1993)." (p. 666)

Thus, Macmillan is claiming that Braid did not coin the term: d'Hénin de
Cuvillers did. I plan on ordering the reference he gives as support, but
I just don't want to wait that long to get a definitive answer. Does
anyone know the story here?

Jeff