Esteemed collegues,

I would like your collective opinion on this matter.  Several times now I
have been turned down for jobs teaching hybrid or online courses due to "lack
of experience" even though I have substantial training in various
environments.

I would like to create some "experience" for myself.  The textbook I am using
for my summer intro psych classes (Kalat) has a WebCT ancillary available.
Of course, I can't compel the students to use it because these classes are
traditional classroom environment, but was contemplating giving students a
choice for one of the requirements of registering to use the WebCT site a
certain number of times during the summer session OR writing a standard
research paper for a grade.  The folks who elect to use the WebCT site of
course have to pay to use it.

Can you see anything wrong with this plan from an ethical, practical or other
standpoint?  I am just not sure at this point how to accrue the experience
that I seem to lack from administration's point of view.  If you have any
thoughts or ideas, please let me know.  Thanks for any input you can give.
The first summer class begins on 6/19.

Nancy Melucci
Huntington Beach, CA