Miguel,

You raise some important issues that I have been thinking about recently as
well.  I would be interested in any empirical evidence indicating, pro or
con, changes in academic behavior in response to material provided on the
web.  In order to deter students from missing class and skipping the text I
plan to continue incorporating information into my lectures that is not in
the text, having very short quizzes on the chapter BEFORE I start lecturing
on that information (to ensure that students are reading), having tests that
cover material from the book that was not covered in class (and visa versa),
and creating PowerPoint slides that INTRODUCE information that student can
quickly write down (terms mainly without definitions or wordy descriptions).
Any student skipping class and relying on a print or online version of the
slideshow will inevitably do very poorly.  I would welcome any other
suggestions on ways in which we can incorporate new technology without
allowing students to eliminate reading textbooks and attending class.

Cheers,

Rob Flint
Robert W. Flint, Jr., Ph.D.
The College of Saint Rose