Cohen's Kappa (as far as I understand it) will be OK if you want to lump all
the data into "agree" and "disagree" categories. But if you are interested in
looking at the particular 32 behaviors and speculating as to why instructors
and students agree for some behaviors but not others, I believe you are stuck
with 32 statistical procedures of some sort. Bonferonni is logical but, as
David says, hopelessly conservative. I would do Bonferonni only if you had no
a priori ideas about the 32 behaviors and was petrified about committing a
Type I error. But if you have some aprioi ideas about which are going to be
significant - just report the 32 chi-squares and don't worry about .05. (The
probability of finding significant only those comparisons that are consistent
with your a priori thinking makes ".05" less of an issue).

I'm not familiar with the details of the study, but here is another way to
think about it  - especially if you want to pursue differences _between_ the
32 behaviors. Convert each of the chi-squares to an effect size measure such
as the contingency coefficient. i.e. C = square root (chi square/(N + chi
square)). C will range from 0 to (close to) 1. Then you can rank order the 32
behaviors in terms of the C - and see if the rank ordering makes sense. If you
do something like this you focus less on whether you reject null for each
behavior - and more on examining differences between the 32 behaviors.

David wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Kirsten Rewey went:
>
> > Because I've conducted *32* Chi-square tests I'm concerned about
> > alpha error.  Can anyone help me identify a rule-of-thumb to
> > minimize the alpha error?  I have a couple of ideas but I'd like
> > your input first.
>
> I'm no statistician, but I feel like looking foolish in public today,
> so I'll venture an answer--two different answers.
>
> You're probably familiar with the Bonferroni correction, wherein you
> divide your alpha (.05) by the number of tests you're conducting (32),
> then accept as significant only the p values that are below
> (.05 / 32) = .00156.  This is a ferociously conservative procedure,
> and several preferable alternatives have been developed.  Many of
> these are available in the SAS procedure PROC MULTTEST, which will
> accept your list of 32 p values as input.
>
> But then there's the question of whether chi-squares are really what
> you wanted to use.  If this is what you're doing:
>
> > A student and I are comparing student and faculty definitions of
> > cheating; a number of you were kind enough to complete a survey for
> > me.  I used Chi-square tests to determine if students and faculty
> > differed in their assessment of 32 individual behaviors.
>
> ...then perhaps the test you want is an "agreement statistic" like
> Cohen's kappa statistic, which measures the degree of "agreement
> beyond chance" between two raters or instruments.  With agreement
> statistics, the p value is usually of less interest than the actual
> amount of agreement.  I've seen kappa values interpreted as follows:
>
> <0        = below-chance agreement [this is rare, but would be interesting
>             if you found it in your study]
> 0.0       = chance agreement only
> >0-0.19   = poor agreement
> 0.20-0.39 = fair agreement
> 0.40-0.59 = moderate agreement
> 0.60-0.79 = substantial agreement
> 0.80-1.00 = almost perfect agreement
>
>   source: Landis JR and Koch GG (1977).  The measurement of observer
>   agreement for categorical data.  Biometrics 33: 159-174.
>
> If you have SAS, you can generate agreement statistics with PROC FREQ;
> just specify the AGREE or KAPPA options.
>
> But after calculating 32 separate kappas, what should you do?  Just
> discuss their range?  I'm not sure.  I guess TIPSters wiser than
> myself will have to take over from here.
>
> --David Epstein
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"The only rational way of educating is to be an example - if
one can't help it, a warning example." A. Einstein, 1934.