At 06:30 AM 6/14/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Beaver College to Change Its Name and Seek University Standing ...

>The decision comes in the wake of research by the college that found
>that 30 percent of prospective students would not even consider
>attending Beaver because of its name ...

For what is worth, I had an opportunity to interview at Beaver in the late 80s
and I was VERY, VERY impressed with the quality of their undergraduate
psychology program, with its faculty, and with the college in general.
Needless to say, at the time I was sorry that I didn't get the job.

Because I also graduated from an undergraduate institution whose name (Jersey
City State College, recently renamed The New Jersey City University) was the
brunt of jokes (at least locally) because of its 'inner-city',
poor-man's-college, connotations, I support Beaver's name change.  I'll never
forget some of the snickering that occurred in one graduate class the first day
of class when we were asked to introduce ourselves and say where we had gone to
school.  I often wondered how much that little revelation shaped my peers'
initial opinions of me and my educational experiences.  It was through my
interactions with some of these students that I realized, to my surprise and
theirs, that in fact I had been privileged to have received more than a few
educational opportunities at JCSC that had not been available at some of the
more impressive-sounding colleges.

Miguel

Miguel Roig, Ph.D.                      Voice: (718) 390-4513
Assoc. Prof. of Psychology      Fax: (718) 442-3612
Dept. of Psychology                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
St. John's University                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
300 Howard Avenue                       http://area51.stjohns.edu/~roig
Staten Island, NY 10301