On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Bev Ayers-Nachamkin wrote:

> Any Tipsters out there care to recommend a text/workbook for introducing
> students who have already taken one course in statistics to the use of SPSS
> for Windows and/or know of a text that uses version10.0? I'll be glad to
> compile results for the list.

I've been happy with "How to use SPSS" by Brian C. Cronk, from Pyrczak
Publishing.  What I like is the systematic why he covers everything the
student need to know, for each statistic.  Almost every statistic
includes a section for "Description," "Assumptions," SPSS Data Format,"
"Running the Command," "Reading the Output," "Drawing Conclusions,"
"Phrasing Results that are Significant," and "Phrasing Results that are
Not Significant."  It comes with data to use in "Practice Exercises"
that are included for each stat, and you can get an "Instructor's Key"
with (SPSS style) answers to the exercises as well. The text includes
illustrations of on-screen boxes that students will see, and output in
the format that SPSS uses.

What I think is especially helpful for students is the "Phrasing"
sections, where students can read an example of how to put their results
into a sentence/paragraph.  To top it off, it's the cheapest SPSS book
that I know about.  Worth a look, I'd say.  [No, I don't know Cronk, or
hold any stock in Pyrczak  :) ]

bob k.