I'll go with Jim Clark's statement.
The APA is becoming a craft guild, more concerned with maximizing the
income of its members than demonstrating the effectiveness of its
treatments.
I'm short on specifics right now (mea culpa -- remembering the details
after I see them is a low priority.  I could fish through the APA Monitor
for the last couple of years, but it's not worth the effort.  An exercize
left to the reader, etc ....)

At 9:03 AM -0600 7/5/00, Jim  Guinee wrote:
>> From: Paul Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: Re: Loftus, ethics & APA (long)
>>
>> It should also be noted that Loftus is hardly the only psychologist to
>> quit the APA because of their drift away from the scientific approach to
>> the study of behavior. That's the reason for the foundation of the APS.
>>

>Since you brought up APA -- I have a sincere question.
>
>Could you elaborate more on this drift?  Give specific examples?  I'm curious
>to see if any Tipsters have quit APA, and if it had to do with the drift
>or other
>professional reasons.
>
>I have struggled for the past few years with my decision to maintain my APA
>membership and was curious about others motives for staying, leaving...
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Guinee, Ph.D.  Director of Training, Counseling Center
>
>"Search others for their virtues, they self for thy vices."
>             -Benjamin Franklin

"Beer is God's way of showing that he loves us."
             -Benjamin Franklin

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *