Hi

It is important to keep in mind that absence of correlation does
not imply absence of causation.  With respect to the happiness,
psychological factors such as dissonance reduction could have a
huge effect, I would imagine.  That is, no I don't make as much
as Bill Gates, but my life with students and research (and
TIPs/Pests colleagues of course) is undoubtedly more
intellectually rewarding.  I also thought there was some
literature (Dave Myers might know) showing that even people with
quite devastating injuries and diseases show remarkably normal
levels of happiness.  We might also want to keep in mind the
possibility that emphasizing the weak relationship between money
and happiness is simply a rationalization of our own fiscal
well-being given all the disadvantaged people in the world,
including North America.  Personally I would still bet on
improvement in financial well-being as one of the best things we
could do to further both physical and psychological
well-being of people

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark