(Here in Quebec we also have language police (aka "tongue
troopers") but their job is definitely _not_ to get people to use
English better.)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Beth Benoit wrote:

> And maybe it takes an American to get the language correct.
> (Sorry, Stephen!!)  That's a first, eh?
>
> > 32. You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling
>     nauseous.<
>
> One of my pet peeves:  it should be "nauseated."
>
> "Nauseous" means the same thing as "nauseating."  Something that
> is nauseous makes  someone nauseated.
> "Nauseated" means "affected with nausea."
>
> So if you are "nauseous," you are actually disgusting enough
> to make someone nauseated.  You probably want to be "nauseous"
> even less than you want to be "nauseated."

Ah, that brings back memories. It's not a first. Beth caught me
on this issue on one of my first posts to TIPS (3? 4?) years ago
and it made a big impression on me. I still can't remember the
difference but I always check, or at least avoid the word.

But this case is different, as the author of this piece is the
prolific Anon, not me. It's his/her misteak, Beth, not mine! I'm
not responsible for "toque" either, for that matter, although I
did correct a "your" to you're" in the original. Shame on me.

I should also say that I only claimed I could pass this test, not
that I could ace it. But not only do I have Canadian Tire money
in my kitchen drawers, but I carry it in my wallet. You just
never know when you might have a sudden urge for hardware or
tires.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/