It's having the profs available for the students both inside and outside of
class.
It's picking up a phone to call the registrar and help a student solve a
problem instead of telling the students, "I don't know.  Go schlep across
campus and ask someone else."
It's going the extra step to let that one last "add" into your crowded
class.
It's putting your home phone # & e-mail address on your syllabus and urging
students to use them
It's assuring students that you're available more than just your scheduled
office hours to help them with questions on any topic.... personal,
academic, intellectual.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with "dumbing down."  In fact,
because I know I'm there to help  any student who asks, I feel less guilty
when I have to flunk those who don't avail themselves of my largesse.
Ed
Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D., Department of Psychology, West Chester Univ. of PA,
West Chester, PA 19383 Office: 610-436-3151; Home: 610-363-1939; Fax:
610-436-2846; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler and
herpetoculturist.  To find out what a herpetoculturist is, check out the
Chameleon Journals MOAC  Database at http://www.chameleonjournals.com/moac/