2000 EASTERN CONFERENCE
FOR THE TEACHING OF PSYCHOLOGY

October 20-21, 2000

Jordan Hall Conference Center
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

Conference Co-Hosts: Psychology Departments from
University of Virginia & James Madison University

Conference Planning Committee:
James Freeman, Virginia Andreoli Mathie,
Jane Halonen, & Ashton Trice

KEY NOTE SPEAKERS:

Barney Beins, newly appointed Director of Pre-college and College
Programs at the APA Education Directorate, will kick off the
conference on Friday morning.  On leave from Ithaca College, Barney
is a gifted teacher and is well known for his dry wit.  His title is
"All the Glitters: Reflections on Psychology's Golden Age."

Brian Little will be the Friday afternoon speaker.  Brian is a former
G. Stanley Hall lecturer, who makes hilarious observations about the
challenges of trying to teach when by nature you are shy.  (He could
have been a writer for Monty Python).  Brian is spending this year
away from Carleton University in Ottawa to conduct research at
Harvard.  Brian's title is "Profession Out of Character: Free Traits
and the Immortal Profession."

Our closing speaker on Saturday morning will be the affable but
slightly goofy Doug Bernstein.  Doug's long-standing passion is
making the classroom a more vigorous and active learning climate.
His topic will be "Active Learning and Passive Students."  We are
delighted that he will help us celebrate the end of the conference
with his inspiring insights and humor.

Obviously this line-up guarantees one of the funniest teaching
conferences ever.
But there is more...

CONCURRENT SESSIONS AND SPEAKERS:

Soft, Cuddly, & Cute: Statistics
        John L. Kibler III, James Benedict, & Ashton Trice

The Joy of Teaching Introductory Level Courses
        Dennis R. Proffitt

Class Lectures as Narratives
        Daniel B. Willingham

Things Webby
        Rick Barnes and Charles Harris

Strategies for Implementing the National Standards
        Craig Gruber and Jane Halonen

Regional Community College Town Meeting

Peer Advising: Extend Your Resources and Expertise
        Bill Evans and Eileen Nelson

ADDED FEATURES:

POSTER COMPETITION:
The competition is sponsored by the Society for the Teaching of
Psychology.  The winner will receive $500 in reimbursed travel
expenses to attend the next APA convention in San Francisco and be
recognized during STP's social hour.  The winner also wins one year's
free membership in the Society, including a subscription to The
Teaching of Psychology.

INTEREST GROUP DISCUSSION:

Participants can settle in or mingle among the topics that will have
dedicated tables for small group discussions.

EXHIBITORS DISPLAY

Many publishers will be attending to give you a good, unhurried look
at their latest productions.  We also hope to have some internet
publishers on board for the display.

TEACHING DEMONSTRATIONS

We will be featuring some teaching demonstrations from participants
in the last session before poster award winners and door prizes are
announced at Saturday noon.  We encourage you to share your best
strategy either in a live demo or handout.  We will be in email
contact with you shortly before the conference to let you know how
many handouts to bring with you.

SO CAN YOU JOIN US?
DOWNLOAD, PRINT, AND COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW
ALONG WITH YOUR REGISTRATION FEE.

Name_______________________________________________________

Affiliation:___________________________________________________

Address:____________________________________________________

Work Phone:________________________   Fax:____________________

Check Appropriate Rate:                   ___$70 Professional
                                  ___ $35 Graduate Student
                                  (no refunds after October 15)

Make Check Payable to:
        JMU School of Psychology
        MSC 7401
        Harrisonburg, VA  22807

Vegetarian Meals Requested:   yes   no

I'd like to participate in the following:

___ Poster Title:

___ Discussion Topic:

___  Teaching Demonstration:

PLEASE XEROX OR FORWARD THIS FLYER TO OTHER TEACHING PROFESSIONALS
WHO WOULD ENJOY THIS CONFERENCE.!

Thanks! We hope to see you in Charlottesville!
ECTOP Planners
Jane, Jim, Ginny, & Ashton

Halonen, Jane