From: Serdikoff, Sherry L. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 3:08 PM
To: TIPS
Subject: Real Life Applications

Hi folks. In my research methods class this semester, I'm trying to place
more emphasis on why it is important to understand the nature of
scientific research even if they do not plan to pursue careers where they
will be conducting research. In order to make the point personally
relevant for each student, I'm thinking of including some sort of
assignment that requires each to identify instances of real life events
where having an understanding of research methods can make a difference.
At first I was thinking of requiring the instances to be ones with errors
(e.g., asserting causation based on correlational data) or what I tend to
think of as "sneaky" statements (saying "No drug has been shown more
effective than XYZ" which people tend to interpret as "XYZ is the most
effective" which of course is not necessarily the case). But, now I'm
thinking of including any kind of examples like understanding TV
commercials (knowing what it means when they say a particular drug had a
series of side effects but no more than a sugar pill) or news reports
(understanding the margin of error in a political polls).

My question is this. Before I start from scratch, does anyone know of or
use anything like this that they'd be willing to share?

Trying to not unnecessarily reinvent the wheel --SLS
+    _----_    Sherry L. Serdikoff, Ph.D.                 +
+   *      *   School of Psychology                       +
+  * O    O *  James Madison University                   +
+  *        *  MSC 7401                       {)__(}      +
+   *(.  .)*   Harrisonburg, VA 22807          (oo)       +
+     \  /     E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -o0o-=\/=-o0o-  +
+      \/      Telephone:  540-568-7089                   +
+              FAX Number: 540-568-3322                   +