I'm a bit late in the game, but here goes...
In my introductory psych classes, I offer a policy wherein students are
allowed to replace one grade during the term with a makeup exam. They can
take another exam over the same material and "erase" their initial
performance. They can do this ONCE during the term, and all such makeups
are done at the end of the term. I do this with several rationales:
1. I don't believe in dropping a grade, as that seems to send the message
that you can get a high grade without mastering all the material.
2. I tell them I won't "curve" poor exam scores unless I also curve high
exam scores... that is, set the mean of each exam to a C and use standard
deviations to set the other grades. That logic was applied to me in
undergrad, and on  Social Psych exam on which I got a 92, it was a B (since
the mean on the exam was around an 87).
3. It provides me with a way to make up for exams in which disasters happen.
4. It provides me with a built-in makeup exam policy in which I don't have
to quibble over what is an "acceptable excuse."
5. It gives all students a chance to succeed, even if they have that one
bad day on an exam.

Anyway, that's my 5 cents....
David W.

David T. Wasieleski, Ph.D.