From: Claudia Stanny [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 10:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: N versus N-1 [Was: Another Standard Deviation question]

>From: "James D. Dougan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Another Standard Deviation question
>
>Back in the "good old days" all (or at least most) of the undergraduate
>statistics texts taught the standard deviation using ther "N-1" formula.
>The "N" formula was perhaps mentioned in a footnote, but often not
>mentioned at all...
>
>Now, virtually all of the texts teach the "N" formula in the beginning
>under descriptive stats, then introduce N-1 later under inferential.

The formula for computing the sample variance using N as the divisor is the
correct descriptive statistic to compute for the sample variance.   As a
descriptive statistic, the variance formula with N as the divisor is
accurate.   It is exactly equal to the variance of the sample (whereas the
formula using N-1 is a smaller value).  But this statistic is biased as an
inferential statistic (biased in the statistical sense -- the long run
average or expected value of the statistic does not equal the value of the
population parameter it is used to estimate).  The variance computed using
N-1 is an unbiased estimator of the population parameter.

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Web:    http://www.uwf.edu/psych/stanny.html