Stephen Black wrote:

 >However, if the frequency of Fanny is actually higher in Britain, this
would be
>convincing counter-evidence that its vulgar meaning is not a concern.

I'm not sure, it seems to me that there is a tendency to treat names
differently - see your own ref to John and Dick and the further
discussion of Gay (a well known Irish media personality is Gaye Burn -
maybe spelt differently to this) and we could find other examples too.

I suspect that many people are simply not aware of the slang
connotations of certain words being "too well brought up" or from a
different area where they are less used.  However I think there may also
be an expectation that names will be treated as names and so are
different.  My surname is Gent a word commonly associated with public
lavatories for men and is a commonplace word in that sense and yet
people fail to recognise it - often hearing Grant - and fail to spell it
correctly (Jent).  I assume that this is because they do not make the
connection.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is project in this - multiple meanings
and the effect of context on recognition - I don't expect I'll ever
persue it though.

> And "John" has other undesirable connotations, but I
>believe it's popular nonetheless.

Except from TV and movie culture "the John" is very uncommon int he UK,
but that's another story..

> And I doubt that most people understand your reference
>to a pantomime. Being privileged, I know what a panto is, but I
>doubt the teeming American millions do.

For the information of anyone feeling confused .. a pantomime is a
traditional Christmas theatre show (though the season extends into the
winter).  Romantic comedies based on traditional stories (Cinderella for
example) they are full of traditions.  In this case the "Principal Boy"
(male romantic lead) is played by a young woman in tights and there are
always a couple of women played by men (the ugly sisters for instance).

Still we've come a long way from a passing remark in an academic paper
of sorts.
David

--
David L Gent