According to McKeachie it is 1 min/item. That is generous :-)
annette

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Carla Grayson wrote:

> Tipsters,
>
> I'm writing my first solo test this week. I'm planning on making some of
> the questions multiple-choice and some short-answer. My question is how
> much time should I put aside for the multiple-choice questions? 1 MC per
> minute was a rule of thumb I think I heard once. I gave an early version
> of this exam (50 multiple-choice questions) to a student today and he
> finished it in about 25 minutes (or 30 seconds per question). Of course,
> he's probably one of my better students. Does this mean I can ask more
> questions? Thoughts on test length?
>
> Thanks,
> Carla Grayson

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan