>What is wrong with "confidence level"?  If we can reject the null
hypothesis
>at the .05 level, we are 95% confident that a real difference exists.

        If we are dealing with continuous variables, we are always 100%
confident that a nonzero difference exists, the only issue is the magnitude
of the difference.

        Even if it were possible to have a true null hypothesis, you would
have to consider that the 95% probability you refer to as "confidence level"
is a conditional prior probability -- it is the probability that will not
reject the null hypothesis given that it is true.  The probability that you
want, the probability that the difference is nonzero given that you have
rejected the null hypothesis, is a distinctly different probability, a
conditional posterior probability.  This probability is generally considered
to be indeterminate, given that you need to know the prior probability of
the null hypothesis being true before you can compute it.
Karl L. Wuensch, Department of Psychology,
East Carolina University, Greenville NC  27858-4353
Voice:  252-328-4102     Fax:  252-328-6283
http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm
<http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm>

What is wrong with "confidence level"?  If we can reject the null hypothesis
at the .05 level, we are 95% confident that a real difference exists.

Michael B. Quanty, Ph.D.
Psychology Professor
Senior Institutional Researcher
Thomas Nelson Community College