>From my own random sampling Fanny would appear more frequently. It was my
Grandmother's name

Gary J. Klatsky, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Oswego State University of NY   http://www.oswego.edu/~klatsky
Oswego, NY 13126                        Voice: (315) 312 3474

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Black [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2000 10:05 PM
To: TIPS
Subject: Name frequency

Following up my own post about the relative frequencies of the
name Fanny in the US and Britain, I found the web site I was
looking for. I can now answer one-half of this question.

The site is the US Census, 1990 (2000 is now in progress,
it seems) at:

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/

and it's a handy source of information on frequencies of first
and last names, whether for amusement or more serious purposes.
Name frequencies and their vissisitudes could well be items
of deep psychological and social significance.

"Fanny" comes in at a frequency of .009% and a rank of 974th out
of 4,275 female names listed. It's not the most popular,
certainly, but it's no slouch as a name, either. Unfortunately,
I can't find an equivalent British site, so the issue regarding
Fanny is unresolved.

For what it's worth, here are the top and bottom five male and
female names on the list. The male list has only 1, 219 names on
it, so there are about 3.5 times as many unique female names as
male names. Both lists were prepared from a sample of 6.3 million
names.

James
John
Robert
Michael
William
.
.
.
Elden
Dorsey
Darell
Broderick
Alonso

Mary
Patricia
Linda
Barbara
Elizabeth
.
.
.
Ardelia
Annelle
Angila
Alona
Allyn

I note the absence of the truly bizarre names favoured by rock
stars such as Moon Unit and Dweezil. This is probably because
even in a sample of 6.3 million names they're unlikely to occur
even once. Also, the census people seem to have done some data
trimming to eliminate the most infrequent from the list. My own
name scores a respectable .540%, or 34th rank. Of course, popular
names are not necessarily the best. Who, for example, would want
to be Mary in a class where everyone has this name? If you were
an Alonso or an Allyn, when you heard your name, at least you
would know the teacher meant you.

Stephen
Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/