At 9:53 AM -0500 10/30/00, M. Press wrote:
>As part of a review of our curriculum I have been trying to find evidence
>that "capstone" courses succeed in accomplishing any unique educational
>goals or that some types are more valuable than others.  Obviously I assume
>that a capstone course teaches its subject matter but I am hard pressed to
>assume that any of the courses I have seen so labeled are much different
>from other advanced courses.  I'd be interested both in references and in
>people's general thoughts on the matter.

You might be interested in comments from last summer's PKAL
psychology curriculum workshop.  After Charles Brewer's presentation,
there was general agreement that we should think less about "capstone
course" and more about "capstone experiences." These need not be in a
single course, or in a course at all.  More carefully targeted
"experiences" might also make it easier to find discriminable effects.

-Chuck
- Chuck Huff; 507.646.3169; http://www.stolaf.edu/people/huff/
- Psychology Department, St.Olaf College, Northfield, MN 55057