A TIPSter whose message I unfortunately deleted wondered why it
was necessary to use a larger font for the ballot when all the
elderly voters had to do was to wear eyeglasses.

This assumes that eyeglasses can restore all visual deficits. Not
true. Only refractive deficits (presbyopia, astigmatism) can be
corrected with eyeglasses. On the other hand, the leading cause
of visual impairment in the elderly is age-related macular
degeneration, in which central vision is lost. Eyeglasses would
be of little help here. It wouldn't help people with cataracts
either. But in these disorders, very large print might help.

Can we add perception and physiological psychology to the list of
psychology topics enriched by consideration of this electoral
equivalent of a train wreck?

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/