From: Kenneth M. Steele [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 5:55 PM
To: TIPS
Subject: Re: Prelude...for the 'Mozart Effect' (and Steele replies)

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:24:06 -0500 Ron Blue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  http://www.mindinst.org/MIND2/papers/rauscher_reply.html

For those interested in this issue, here is a partial reply...

Neither Chabris nor I used the term "intelligence." Chabris
used "abstract reasoning" and I have used either "spatial
reasoning" or "spatio-temporal reasoning" when discussing the
Rauscher-Shaw theory. However Rauscher has used the term and
quite recently.  She presented a paper at a conference at the
Univ. of Illinois in June, 1999, entitled "Music exposure and the
development of spatial intelligence in children."

In any case, the terminological distinction was a red herring.
Following an early group of failures to produce the effect by
Stough et al., Carstens et al., and Newman et al., Rauscher and
Shaw (1998) wrote a paper claiming that people were using the
wrong spatial reasoning task.  They meant a special subclass of
spatial reasoning tasks, spatio-temporal reasoning, which was
exemplified by the Stanford-Binet Paper Folding & Cutting task.
Unfortunately (for them) when Rauscher did the literature
review, she had missed some earlier failures (Kenealy & Monsef,
Weeks) which had used the PF & C task.  I had seen them and
realized that a series of experiments replicating their methods
was needed to decipher the problem.

Chabris originally used only PF & C task results in his
meta-analysis but the reviewers at Nature required him to report
all possibly relevant studies.  Since Chabris' analysis, there
have been additional published failures to produce the effect
and no positive reports other than by Rauscher herself.   Note
that Rauscher cites several manuscripts by her as in progress
but none have been published yet. (Is it churlish to object to
Rauscher citing the original report as a replication?) The other
studies cited by her was one by Siegel (who didn't find the
effect and it is still not published), by Nantais & Schellenberg
(who report that their result suggests that a Mozart effect is
an artifact of preference/arousal differences), and by Wilson &
Brown (who found that their control condition did best). There
is a recent meta-analysis by Hetland (2000) that reports a small
Mozart effect but the result is based on the inclusion of lots
of *unpublished* data from Rauscher and *weightings* of
published data on criteria suggested by Rauscher (such as
"quality of study").

Her criticisms of my work have had to change from her standard
criticisms because I followed their rules.  Her criticisms of my
work involve two basic complaints.  First, I used random
assignment of subjects to conditions. (Which she didn't use.
Instead she explicitly constructed her groups to "match.")
Second, it was suggested that perhaps there was some sort of
subtle demand characteristics in my methodology which precluded
me from finding the effect. (A nonbeliever effect?) At a
conference at Harvard at which we both presented, she stated
that she emphasized how important it was to listen to the music
and suggested that maybe I wasn't using the proper amounts of
emphasis.  (I measured the effect of the music on the mood of the
participants.)

Some might claim that pointing to demand characteristics as the
source of not finding an effect is a dangerous strategy since
other people might suggest that finding the effect could be
explained as being due to demand characteristics also.

Both Rauscher and Shaw (in his book) have emphasized the
experiment by Rauscher, Robinson, and Jens (1998) as showing
demand characteristic or other negative accounts are wrong when
applied to their work. Rauscher, Robinson, & Jens reported that
rats which were exposed in utero and 60 days post partum to 12
hours per day repetition of the famous 10-min segment of the
Mozart piano sonata showed faster acquisition of the solution of
a 6-unit T-Maze, relative to those rats who had equivalent
exposure to Philip Glass or white noise.  Presumably, rats are
immune to negative thoughts from the experimenter.

As it happens, I will be presenting an analysis of that
experiment next week at the Psychonomics Society meeting in
New Orleans.  In this case, one does not even need replication
to discover fundamental objections to the report.

Ken (who is salivating in anticipation of an oyster po-boy)

Kenneth M. Steele                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Associate Professor
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608