At 3:10 PM -0500 11/14/00, Louis_Schmier wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Paul Brandon wrote:
>>
>> In other words, a very large quantity of anecdotes.
>
>As opposed to?  Anecdote is not a dirty word, especially if we're talking
>about 4000 over an eight year period.  After all, a sampling is little
>more than a series of anecdotal experiences disguised as statistics.
>Besides, statstics usually distorts the individual experience anyway.

How much is 4000 x 0?
No number of uncontrolled observations make up for lack of control.
One can still not meaningfully compare different conditions, such as
teaching styles.
The rest of your posting is connotation, not denotation.

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *