At 6:16 PM +0000 11/17/00, Richard Pisacreta wrote:
>I thought you folks might find this interesting, and it might generate some
>discussion.
>
>Lining Up to Get a Lecture
>The New York Times
>November 17, 2000
>By KAREN W. ARENSON
>ITHACA, N.Y. James B. Maas, a professor at Cornell University, teaches a
>large class. A really large class. With nearly 1,600 students, it is one of
>the largest lecture classes in any American university, so big that no
>classroom is large enough to hold it. Instead, the class, Psychology 101,
>meets in the university's 88-year-old concert hall, with hard-backed wooden
>seats, bare floors and no desks.

What's missing is any direct evidence that students actually learn, as
opposed to being entertained.
And of course there are discussion sections.

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *