I do not interpret this passage the same way. In a rather convoluted way the
author seems to be saying that labels often alter the way in which we
conceptualize. We all recognize that labels such as "at risk" or the older
term "juvenile delinquent" often affected the way in which the labelee's
self perception. As to the Sapir Whorf theories, I revamped my old notions
of Whorf and have been very influenced by Pinker et al. Recently I have
begun reading fairly extensively about the deciphering of the Mayan language
and find that some of the scholars, even some of the linguistically leaning
have very varied opinions about Whorf. The strong interpretation of his
"theory" is undoubtedly wrong, but weaker versions remain controversial.
After having read Pinker and the Mayanists, it seems that part of the
antipathy toward him stemmed from the fact that he was not part of the
intellectual establishment and not even a classically trained linguist.