Hi folks,

Does anyone out there know of any research on factors that influence whether
students take advantage of teachers' office hours?  I don't know whether it's a
function of my style, my courses, or my class sizes (or something else
altogether),
but I have a very difficult time getting my students to come to see me
outside of
class for extra help.  The few that do come once tend to come back, but
getting them
in the door for the first time is what I'm concerned about.  How do you all
manage to get
students who are struggling in your classes to come to you for help?  On
course
evaluations my students endorse that I'm very approachable and that I
relate to students
very well, and yet (most) don't come.  And my version of the "help me help
you" speech
just isn't cutting the mustard.

Thanks for any input!

-Mike

Michael J. Kane
Department of Psychology
P.O. Box 26164
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27402-6164
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: 336-256-1022
fax: 336-334-5066