> From: "Beth Benoit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: "Elevation" in the news
>
> Haidt describes elevation as a distinct emotion that can function as a
> kind of physical gateway to encourage people to be more social and giving.
>
> Again, I stress that this is not a journal article, but rather a nicely
> done article for the "common folk."  It also has a nice collection of
> photographs of facial expressions and what they denote that would have
> come in handy recently when someone on TIPS was looking for photos showing
> emotions.

Excellent article, but if I'm reading it correctly, the suggestion is that altruism
can be modified based on the physiological mechanism that causes it.  Is
that what is being said here?

Am I just naive, or does it seem overly deterministic/mechanistic to argue
that physiology drives emotion, and not the other way around?

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.
Director of Training & Adjunct Professor

President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"The ballot is stronger than the bullet"
             -Abraham Lincoln