Oh my goodness, yes.  I use a reading list and must approve all non-list books for an extra credit read-and-relate-to-the-text assignment in developmental Psych.  I have a child in high school so I am careful to avoid things I know are on HIS reading list!

examples:
If the Child is Safe
No Language But A Cry
Lost Boys
Ghosts in the Nursery
Girl, Interrupted
The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat
An Anthropologist on Mars

Michael Sylvester wrote:

 I am beginning to regret that I did not require my students to get my ok
 and approval before doing their book reports.
 I have students turning in all types of book reports based on the
 bible and the ten commandments and even Dr.Laura.
 Are there other similar regrets other tipsters have had?

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida