-----Original Message-----

From: Stephen Black

I should have included this in my last post:

Radio speech by an aged Freud,
speaking with difficulty and pain due to cancer
of the jaw. London, December 7, 1938

Follow along at:

http://lcweb.loc.gov/exhibits/freud/freudobj.html

(Scroll all the way down to the end of the document
 for the sound file)

"I started my professional activity as a neurologist trying to
bring relief to my neurotic patients. Under the influence of an
older friend and by my own efforts I discovered some important
new facts about the unconscious in psychic life, the role of
instruction, [instinctual] urges, and so on. Out of these findings grew a
new
science, psycho-analysis, a part of psychology and a new method [of
treatment
of the neuroses]. I had to pay heavily for this bit of good luck.  People
did not
believe in my facts and thought my theories unsavoury.
Resistance was strong and unrelenting.  In the end I succeeded in
acquiring pupils and building up an international Psycho-analytic
Association.  But the struggle is not yet over."

Sigmund Freud

Stephen
Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/