Deb,

I'd suggest a reply from a TIPSter a while ago, that I've used several times
since.  "I'm not sure that what I would write/say would be helpful to you as
a recommendation."  That can imply, to the student, whatever she brings to
it.  But it gets the job done as far as getting you off the hook for your
natural disinclination to stretch the truth.

IF, as you suspect, the student did indeed already submit your name as a
recommendation, I'd suggest that you begin with the truth that, when
pressed, the student did indeed get 100 on the final.  (This may be an
astounding feat, or it may not, since of course the difficulty of final
exams varies.  But at any rate, it's obviously more than the she had done in
the past.)  This allows that at least there's some ability.  But I wouldn't
dodge the truth about the student's so-so speaking ability.  As an
inexperienced new teacher, some years ago, I wasn't as forthcoming in a
recommendation as I would be now (a "pity party," as I now recall), and
found some time later that the student had gotten and then subsequently lost
a job based on the very lack of qualities about which I was concerned.

If you're worried that you may unfairly prejudice the student's job-seeking,
remember that your recommendation is only ONE part of the student's
application.  Human Resource departments should know to take that into
account as use your opinion accordingly.

Beth Benoit
Daniel Webster College, Portsmouth NH
College of Lifelong Learning, Portsmouth, NH