Please forgive me for continuing with this.

I feel so manipulated!  I wrote a polite note to the student in question,
explaining that I could't recommend the retroactive drop, as I wasn't aware
of any extenuating circumstances in his case extreme enough to warrant
this.  Unfortunatly I also wrote that  I did remember that he attended very
few classes, that I remembered that told me that he had work conflicts, and
that I remembered suggested withdrawing to avoid the current situation.

Now he's asked if he may turn in that email to use as the letter, and
promised not to change it.  But I think that he'll forge something, put my
name on it.  So - to avoid this- I find myself considering writing a letter
saying that  he rarely showed up for class, claimed he had work schedule
conflicts, and I suggested withdrawing for the semester. I'm already
rationalising to myself -

The other option is to spend significant time long distance trying to
figure out exactly to whom to report my concern re: potential forgery.

Perhaps I should have included in my initial post, that I an a graduate
student, and now live far, far away from the inst. in
question.  Unfortunatly, I recived no supervision (at all) while
teaching.  I have had several students who did have extenuating
circumstances for which I offered Incompletes, etc. but I just  didn't and
don't belive this guy