>From vague memories of my anatomy and physiology class - we learned that the
ability to walk is contingent on a very specific process of bone formation
in the legs.  Walking is impossible without this.  And, if the bone
formation is delayed, walking is delayed.  Consequently, shorter people were
suggested to walk sooner.  (sorry I don't have a reference handy - maybe
somebody else has heard of this)

Since we are exchanging anecdotes, I was told that I walked at 7 months.
Sounds almost impossible, but everyone in my family attests to it.  My
brother and sister however did not.  I am only 5'1" (10 and 5 inches shorter
than them).

Deanna

----- Original Message -----
From: "Annette Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Developmental question

Hi Deb:

Someplace, way, way, way back when, I remembering hearing that children
who crawl longer have less problems with dyslexia. Don't ask me for a
reference. This is drawing on something I probably heard as an undergrad
way long ago.

I remember it because the idea was that children who crawl longer and
therefore walk later, develop more connections in the brain, was how
the logic went.

So maybe your student heard some variation of this. I await a true
scientific answer.

Anecdotal evidence:
BTW my youngest son did not walk until he was 17 months old and he is
by far and away the most athletic person on our entire family! And he
is also quite verbal--although I don't think unusually gifted in that
department. But not dyslexic :-)

annette

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Deborah Briihl wrote:

> Those wonderful student questions! Anyone ever hear of this correlation
> before?
>
>   Some one told me once that the later your child walks the smarter he/she
> will be.  Is this a true statement?  Because I just had a      baby I want
> to learn about the psychological needs of children as they grow up so that
> I can be sure to meet those needs.
> Deb
>
> Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
> Dept. of Psychology and Counseling
> Valdosta State University
> Valdosta, GA 31698
> (229) 333-5994
> >
> Well I know these voices must be my soul...
> Rhyme and Reason - DMB

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

"Education is one of the few things a person
is willing to pay for and not get."
-- W. L. Bryan