I am not sure that I understand the situation.  Was the person denied tenure
because he is African-American, and the tenure committee was Eurocentric?
Or, was the person denied tenure because of weaknesses in (up to) three of
the four areas often considered in tenure decisions.  Service is important,
but so is teaching, and scholarship, and collegiality.  Institutions differ
may differ in their weighting of these areas, but they generally make the
rules known to faculty during their probationary period.

--

Michael Sylvester wrote:

>  A black professor in Florida was denied tenure.He argued that he was
> a role model and an inspiration to the community because of his numerous
> activities and committment to community projects.He had received numerous
> awards for community service.
> The Eurocentric tenure committee was not buying his argument.They wanted
> to see his committment to scholarly publications.
> It would seem that community service does more for the community and
> society than some publications that are  read by only a few people.
> I suspect that down the road colleges and universities will be held
> accountable for improving the social service health of the community.
> It is one thing to enjoy the petty bourgeoise life of an academic,
> but the real intellectual heroes may be those who become
> public intellectuals to save society.
> Parallel to another post, what are the pros and con of not academia
> vs.industry, but that of academia vs.public service?
>
> Michael Sylvester,PhD
> Daytona Beach,Florida

********* http://www.coe.uca.edu/psych/scoles/index.html ********
* Mike Scoles                       *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Department of Psychology          *    voice: (501) 450-5418  *
* University of Central Arkansas    *    fax:   (501) 450-5424  *
* Conway, AR    72035-0001          *                           *